From Melbourne to Canberra by bus
From Melbourne Airport Australia (MEL) to Canberra (CBR) by flight
Melbourne to Canberra destination reviews
How to get from Melbourne to Canberra
When you want to get from Melbourne to Canberra, you have a few options to consider. Traveling between these destinations is possible by different means of transport:
If you’re looking for a quick trip, it’s recommended that you use Flight. However, if you’d rather take your time with a slower, more affordable travel option, you can book a Flight ticket.
The cost of travel will depend on the means of transport you choose for your trip. A flight ticket is the most expensive option - it will cost you about AUD 1,106.65. If you want to save on transportation, it’s better to take a bus as a bus ticket costs as low as AUD 99.00.
How far is Melbourne from Canberra?
If you’re traveling by land, it’s important to know the distance from Melbourne to Canberra. Your trip will be a total of 428 miles (688 km). The flying distance is 331 miles (531 km).
How long does it take to get from Melbourne to Canberra?
The travel time from Melbourne to Canberra can vary depending on the mode of transportation you choose. All things considered, the whole journey should take from 2 to 18 hours.
How much does it cost to get from Melbourne to Canberra?
The cost of the trip from Melbourne to Canberra varies according to what means of transport you choose for your journey. The most affordable operator is Greyhound Australia: travelling by bus expect to pay as low as AUD 99.00 for your ticket.
However, if you’re after more upscale travel . The most expensive variant is to opt for a flight - a one-way flight ticket can cost as much as AUD 1,106.65.
Here is a chart of the average ticket prices and transportation options available from Melbourne to Canberra:
- Bus tickets - AUD 99.00 to AUD 99.00;
- Plane tickets - AUD 207.00 to AUD 1,107.00;
How many trips per day are there between Melbourne and Canberra?
Depending on your choice of transportation, the number of daily trips varies.
- Flights from Melbourne to Canberra depart during the day - there are approximately 17 departures a day.
- Buses start plying the route from 22:00 - you can also take a bus as late as 22:00. There are 1 available bus trips every day.
Which means of transport is the best for the route?
Traveling by plane is the fastest way to get from Melbourne to Canberra. While it’s often the most expensive option, tool, occasionally you can grab promotional tickets for more or less the price of a train or a ferry ticket. Normally, the minimum you need to pay for a Plane ticket is AUD 207.00.
Things to remember before boarding a plane:
- It’s recommended to book a ticket in advance and check-in online. This way, you can save over 2 hours at the airport, and if your seat selection is on a first come first served basis you will have more options to choose from.
- Getting through security checks may take some time - it’s recommended to get to the airport at least 1.5 hours in advance.
Airlines flying from Melbourne to Canberra
Jetstar Airways, Qantas Airways
Taking a bus from Melbourne to Canberra is cheaper than flying. Quite often, a long-distance bus is the cheapest transportation option. Buses normally make bathroom and/or lunch stops along the way.
Things to remember before opting for a bus ride:
- If possible, make sure to choose higher-class buses for a more comfortable travel experience. Such buses often have an air conditioning system, soft reclining seats, Wi-Fi, bathrooms, etc.
- As with plane tickets, buses are better booked in advance so that you can secure a good seat.
- While booking a bus, keep in mind that delays are possible. Yet it still pays to get to the bus station at least 15 minutes prior to the scheduled departure.
The most popular transport from Melbourne to Canberra
How to choose the most convenient way of travel from Melbourne to Canberra? In order to make your choice of transportation easier, we asked 1000 users to range their preferences for this route. Here are the results of the poll:
- 100% decided to go for a bus.