Cambodia Needs More Skilled Tourism Professionals

News in Asia
Cambodia Needs More Skilled Tourism Professionals

A growing number of tourist arrivals to Cambodia makes the domestic tourism sector face a severe lack of professionals. To meet the demand, the tourism industry workforce should reach one million people by next year, according to the announcement made by the Kingdom's government recently.

The Ministry of Tourism is looking not just to increase the total number of workforce engaged in tourism industry but rather to expand the number of trained and experienced professionals. To achieve this goal, more jobs will be created for tourism students. Currently, aroud 800,000 people are imployed in the tourism sector of Cambodia hence there is a vacancy of about 200,000 jobs to help the country cope with handling seven million tourists expected to visit Cambodia this year.

Yet the existing education centres often fail to supply specialists in demand. While Cambodia has great tourism potential with abundance of historical and natural attractions, there is an obvious lack of skilled human resources. A scheme when students receive theoretical bases at a vocational institution on hospitality and then simultaneously start working part-time in hospitality industry – hotels or restaurants – to get practice can prove successful, many believe.

According to the estimate, only around 65% of the current number of people in the industry can be qualified as 'skilled' meaning that they did receive professional training of some sort. The remaining 35% or about 280,000 people are unskilled and do not have any accreditation for work in the tourism sector. 

Source

News

Travel Between Delhi and Alwar to Become Faster

Travel between Delhi, the capital of Indai, and Alwar, the former capital of the princely state of Alwar in British India and now a city in the northern state of Rajasthan, will soon become twice faster than now thanks to a new rapid rail project.

26 March 2019

Monorail Eases Commuter Congestion in Mumbai

A 19.54 km stretch of Mumbai monorail Line 1 Phase II is now opened after an impressive 11 years delay. It starts at Wadala and ends at Sant Gadge Maharaj Chowk and puts commuting in the city to a totally new level.

26 March 2019

Traditional Medicine Museum Opens in Hoi An

Tools, appliances and documents related to traditional medicine from Hoi An and Vietnam are on display in a newly opened traditional medicine museum in Hoi An.

25 March 2019