From Vientiane any hotel to Luang Prabang by van
From Vientiane any hotel to Luang Prabang by van
From Vientiane any hotel to Luang Prabang by bus
Vientiane to Luang Prabang destination reviews
How to get from Vientiane to Luang Prabang
When you want to get from Vientiane to Luang Prabang, you have a few options to consider. Traveling between these destinations is possible by different means of transport:
If you’re looking for a quick trip, it’s recommended that you use Van. However, if you’d rather take your time with a slower, more affordable travel option, you can book a Van ticket.
The cost of travel will depend on the means of transport you choose for your trip. A Bus ticket is the most expensive option - it will cost you about LAK 289,220. If you want to save on transportation, it’s better to take a van as a van ticket costs as low as LAK 190,494.
How far is Vientiane from Luang Prabang?
If you’re traveling by land, it’s important to know the distance from Vientiane to Luang Prabang. Your trip will be a total of 436 miles (700 km). The flying distance is 147 miles (235 km).
How long does it take to get from Vientiane to Luang Prabang?
The travel time from Vientiane to Luang Prabang can vary depending on the mode of transportation you choose. All things considered, the whole journey should take from 11 to 14 hours.
How much does it cost to get from Vientiane to Luang Prabang?
The cost of the trip from Vientiane to Luang Prabang varies according to what means of transport you choose for your journey. The most affordable operator is Soutchai Travel (ບໍລິສັດ ສຸດໃຈທ່ອງທ່ຽວ ຈໍາກັດຜູ້ດຽວ): travelling by van expect to pay as low as LAK 190,494 for your ticket.
However, if you’re after more upscale travel . The most expensive variant is to opt for a Bus - a one-way Bus ticket can cost as much as LAK 289,220.
Here is a chart of the average ticket prices and transportation options available from Vientiane to Luang Prabang:
- Van price : LAK 190,494 - LAK 274,613;
- Bus tickets - LAK 200,003 to LAK 289,220;
- Plane tickets - LAK 42,949,672 to LAK 0;
How many trips per day are there between Vientiane and Luang Prabang?
Depending on your choice of transportation, the number of daily trips varies.
- Flights from Vientiane to Luang Prabang depart during the day - there are approximately 5 departures a day.
- Buses start plying the route from 07:00 - you can also take a bus as late as 18:00. There are 3 available bus trips every day.
- Vans from Vientiane to Luang Prabang depart during the day - there are approximately 3 departures a day.
Which means of transport is the best for the route?
Traveling by plane is the fastest way to get from Vientiane to Luang Prabang. While it’s often the most expensive option, tool, occasionally you can grab promotional tickets for more or less the price of a train or a ferry ticket. Normally, the minimum you need to pay for a Plane ticket is LAK 42,949,672.
Things to remember before boarding a plane:
- It’s recommended to book a ticket in advance and check-in online. This way, you can save over 2 hours at the airport, and if your seat selection is on a first come first served basis you will have more options to choose from.
- Getting through security checks may take some time - it’s recommended to get to the airport at least 1.5 hours in advance.
Airlines flying from Vientiane to Luang Prabang
Thai Airways, Thai Smile (ไทยสมายล์), Vietnam Airlines (เวียดนาม แิอร์ไลน์)
Taking a bus from Vientiane to Luang Prabang is cheaper than flying. Quite often, a long-distance bus is the cheapest transportation option. Buses normally make bathroom and/or lunch stops along the way.
Things to remember before opting for a bus ride:
- If possible, make sure to choose higher-class buses for a more comfortable travel experience. Such buses often have an air conditioning system, soft reclining seats, Wi-Fi, bathrooms, etc.
- As with plane tickets, buses are better booked in advance so that you can secure a good seat.
- While booking a bus, keep in mind that delays are possible. Yet it still pays to get to the bus station at least 15 minutes prior to the scheduled departure.
A shared van is another means of transport for traveling from Vientiane to Luang Prabang. As far as travel time is concerned, it’s basically equal to a taxi ride, while price-wise it’s way more affordable. The majority of tourists book a van online in advance.
Sometimes, when trains or buses aren’t available, a van is your only way to get from Vientiane to Luang Prabang.
Things to remember: while traveling by van, you might not have as much space for luggage as you would on a train or a plane. It’s a good idea to pack only the most useful things for a van trip and put them in a backpack that will be easy to carry around.
The most popular transport from Vientiane to Luang Prabang
How to choose the most convenient way of travel from Vientiane to Luang Prabang? In order to make your choice of transportation easier, we asked 1000 users to range their preferences for this route. Here are the results of the poll:
- 67% opted for a van.
- 33% decided to go for a bus.