While Singapore and Kuala Lumpur are relatively close to each other, the choice of transportation means for travelling between the two is wide: go overland by bus or train or fly.
BusBus is the most popular choice for travelling from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur. Buses make multiple trips per day in both directions, offer a convenient schedule, travel fast, depart from several convenient locations in Singapore and bring you to different bus terminals around Kuala Lumpur.
Almost without exceptions, Singapore–Kuala Lumpur buses are VIP buses with wide soft reclining seats, normally 24- or 32-seaters providing enough legroom.
TrainThere is no direct Singapore–Kuala Lumpur railway service. You have to make two connections.
In Singapore, shuttle trains depart from Woodland checkpoint and arrive to Johor Bahru Sentral in Malaysia.
From Johor Bahru, there are shuttle trains to Gemas.
In Gemas, you should take a high speed ETS train to Kuala Lumpur.
By 2020, a construction of a high-speed railway link is eyed. It will cut train travel time from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur to mere 90 minutes.
FlightThe route between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur is served by several airlines, including low-cost carriers. The choice of departure times is wide – from early morning at about 7 am till late night – 11.30 pm.
How far is it from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur?
As the crow flies, it is 310 km between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur.
The shortest driving distance from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur is 360 km via AH2.
Trains cover a similar distance, about 350 km.
How long does it take to get from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur?
- Flying is the fastest way to get from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur. It takes from one hour to 80 minutes depending on the airline you fly with.
- Buses travel five hours in media. Travel time depends on which terminal in Kuala Lumpur each bus company uses and may extend to six hours.
- By train, travel time is seven hours plus at least three hours for two connections; 10 hours in total.
How much does it cost to get from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur
Ticket price from Singapore to KL is quite affordable whichever means of transport you choose.
Singapore to Kuala Lumpur bus ticket prices vary greatly and depend on the bus company you travel with, the type of the bus, and the time of the day.
The lowest bus ticket prices start from SGD20 for express buses. VIP buses cost SGD25-SGD30; and luxury solitaire buses that are definitely the *best bus from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur** will set you back SGD50 and up.
Train tickets cost about SGD25 for all the three segments: from Woodlands checkpoint to Johor Bahru, from Johr Bahru to Gemas, and from Gemas to Kuala Lumpur.
If fling, expect to pay from SGD80 for lowcosters like AirAsia or Malindo Air to over SGD150-SGD200 for full service airlines like Singapore Airlines or Malaysia Airlines.
Singapore to Kuala Lumpur Timetable
Transtar Travel Solitaire 7.30 am, 10 am, 7 pm 5 h 15 m SGD40-SGD50
Sri Maju Group 9 am, 7 pm, 11.30 pm 5 h 25 m SGD25
Johor Bahru–Gemas 9.15 am, 2.55 pm, 10.30 pm 4 h 15 m MYR25/SGD8
Gemas–Kuala Lumpur 3.10 pm 2 h 20 m MYR35/SGD12
AirAsia 7.35 am – 9.45 pm 1 hour from SGD80
Malindo Air 10.10 am – 9.30 pm 1 hour from SGD80
Jet Star 7.20 am – 10.30 pm 1 hour from SGD80
Best Rated Companies for this Route
Transtart Travel is the best bus company for Singapore–Kuala Lumpur trip. It provides first-class service with single seats on the both sides of the aisle, all equipped with footrest and personal entertainment system; food and drinks are served on board.
Sri Maju, StarMart Express, Seasons SG and also Causeway Link Express that departs from Legoland in Johor Bharu, are similarly good.
All airlines flying between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur – Singapore Airlines, Malaysia Arlines, Malinda Air, AirAsia, Jet Star – enjoy good reputation. Choose schedule-wise and price-wise.
Singapore to Kuala Lumpur Travel Tips
- The most popular departure point in Singapore for buses to Kuala Lumpur is Golden Mile Tower, close to the city centre. The nearest MRT station is Nicoll Highway (exit A), from where it is just a four-minute walk to the Golden Mile Tower.
- Concorde Shopping Centre is the second popular starting point in Singapore for bus trips to Kuala Lumpur.
- Transtar Travel luxury buses to Jalan Imbi in Kuala Lumpur.
- In Kuala Lumpur, many buses arrive to Terminal Bersepadu Selatan (TBS), the main transportation terminal in the southern part of Kuala Lumpur.
- If choosing between overland means of transport, i.e. trains and buses, opt for a bus.
- Buses are the best way to travel overland between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur.
- There are no direct trains between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur. You have to connect in Johor Bahru and Gemas.
- There are no berths or tiered classes on trains between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur – only seats.