How to get from Jaffna to Colombo
When you want to get from Jaffna to Colombo, you have a few options to consider. Traveling between these destinations is possible by different means of transport:
If you’re looking for a quick trip, it’s recommended that you use Train. However, if you’d rather take your time with a slower, more affordable travel option, you can book a Bus ticket.
The cost of travel will depend on the means of transport you choose for your trip. A train ticket is the most expensive option - it will cost you about LKR 4,161. If you want to save on transportation, it’s better to take a bus as a bus ticket costs as low as LKR 2,350.
How far is Jaffna from Colombo?
If you’re traveling by land, it’s important to know the distance from Jaffna to Colombo. Your trip will be a total of 353 miles (567 km). The flying distance is 193 miles (309 km).
How long does it take to get from Jaffna to Colombo?
The travel time from Jaffna to Colombo can vary depending on the mode of transportation you choose. All things considered, the whole journey should take from 7 to 12 hours.
How much does it cost to get from Jaffna to Colombo?
The cost of the trip from Jaffna to Colombo varies according to what means of transport you choose for your journey. The most affordable operator is Avro Travels (Avro Travels): travelling by bus expect to pay as low as LKR 2,350 for your ticket.
However, if you’re after more upscale travel . The most expensive variant is to opt for a train - a one-way train ticket can cost as much as LKR 4,161.
Here is a chart of the average ticket prices and transportation options available from Jaffna to Colombo:
- Bus tickets - LKR 2,350 to LKR 2,350;
- Train tickets - LKR 4,161 to LKR 4,161;
How many trips per day are there between Jaffna and Colombo?
Depending on your choice of transportation, the number of daily trips varies.
- Buses start plying the route from 20:00 - you can also take a bus as late as 20:00. There are 2 available bus trips every day.
- Trains always run on a set schedule - there are 1 trains per day.
Which means of transport is the best for the route?
Taking a bus from Jaffna to Colombo is cheaper than flying. Quite often, a long-distance bus is the cheapest transportation option. Buses normally make bathroom and/or lunch stops along the way.
Things to remember before opting for a bus ride:
- If possible, make sure to choose higher-class buses for a more comfortable travel experience. Such buses often have an air conditioning system, soft reclining seats, Wi-Fi, bathrooms, etc.
- As with plane tickets, buses are better booked in advance so that you can secure a good seat.
- While booking a bus, keep in mind that delays are possible. Yet it still pays to get to the bus station at least 15 minutes prior to the scheduled departure.
Things to remember while choosing a train ticket:
Consider everything carefully while choosing the class of your train travel. In most cases, the second class is comfortable enough – it features 2 or 4 berths in each compartment and is often air-conditioned.
If you’re in for a premium experience, consider getting a first class ticket. The price of first class tickets may include Wifi, and a choice of snacks and drinks.
The most popular transport from Jaffna to Colombo
How to choose the most convenient way of travel from Jaffna to Colombo? In order to make your choice of transportation easier, we asked 1000 users to range their preferences for this route. Here are the results of the poll:
- 667 users enjoyed a train ride.
- 333 decided to go for a bus.