To get from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City your main choices are a direct and connecting flight; a train; and a bus.
Overland travel by train or bus is painfully long but is considered by many one of the most outstanding travel experiences in Asia.
Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City are connected by Reunification Express Trains. There are four such trains travelling from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City on a daily bases: two depart in the morning and two – in the evening.
Departure times of Hanoi–Ho Chi Minh City trains are 6 am, 9 am, 7.30 pm, and 10.20 pm.
These trains feature four types of seats/berths: non air-conditioned hard seats; AC soft seats, AC hard berths organized six per compartment and also air-conditioned soft berth, four per compartment.
The bus route from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City is the longest bus route in the country and in the SEA. It is served by several bus companies which offer at least four departures every day.
All buses serving this route are air-conditioned and feature soft reclining seats and/or berths. There are ordinary buses with 40 seats and plusher and more comfortable 24-seaters. In general, the majority of buses to HCMC are sleeper buses with berths.
How far is it from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City?
- The driving distance from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City is about 1750 km.
- The length of the North-South express railway between the two cities is 1726 km.
- Flying direct is only 1140 km.
How long does it take to get from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City?
The fastest time is guaranteed by direct flights. Duration of air travel between Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh is two hours 10 minutes in media.
Connecting flights will take you not less than four hours, more likely five.
The epic Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh train that follows the famous Reunification line needs between 32 and 35 hours to complete its journey.
Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh travel time if you opt for a bus is even longer – between 36 and 38 hours.
How much does it cost to get from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City?
Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh tickets are affordable considering the distance you have to cover no matter what means of transport you opt for.
Prices for railway tickets in an air-conditioned class start from around USD65 for soft seats and go up to USD85-USD90 for hard berth and soft berth respectively.
There are luxury trains on this route, too. For a VIP sleeper on a Violette Express train that sleeps four expect to pay about USD150.
Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh bus tickets cost slightly cheaper than Vietnam Railways train tickets.
The cheapest trips start from USD40-USD45 with USD65-USD75 being the highest tag for bus ticket prices from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City.
Flying is not the most expensive choice on this route. Prices for air tickets start from USD50. There are almost always a lot of options to buy for USD60-USD70. Airfare for economy class tickets seldom exceeds USD120.
Online booking is available for buying air, train, and bus tickets.
Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh Timetable
Find below Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City timetable to help you choose bus, train, and plane departures.
Trains Hanoi–Ho Chi Minh City
RE train SE1 daily 10.20 pm 31 h 30 m USD64-90
RE train SE3 daily 7.30 pm 33 h 15 m USD65-92
RE train SE5 daily 9.00 am 35 h USD50-90
RE train SE7 daily 6.00 am 34 h USD50-90
Buses Hanoi–Ho Chi Minh City
Hoang Long 1 pm, 8 pm, 9.30 pm 36 hours USD40-65
Mai Linh Express 11 am, 5 pm 37.5 hours USD45-65
Flights Hanoi–Ho Chi Minh City
Vietnam Airlines 6.30 am – 9 pm 2 h 10 m USD60
Jetstar Pacific 8.20 am – 11.35pm 2 h 10 m USD80-120
VietJet Air 5.20 am – 11.35pm 2 h 10 m USD50-60
Best Rated Companies for this Route
Reunification express train is the most popular choice for travelling between Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City overland. Different ticket classes allow to choose the level of comfort you are ready to deal with.
For luxury travels, Violette Express train is the most recommended option.
Hoang Long and Mai Linh Express are two of the most reputed bus operators for trips between Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh offering several trips per day each with a convenient schedule.
If you decide to fly, choose one of the following full service airlines or budget carriers: Vietnam Airlines, Jetstar Pacific, VietJet Air.
Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City Travel Tips
- Book your ticket online to ensure your seat either on a bus or train. As shorter segments sell out faster it may be a challenge to book the whole Hanoi–Ho Chi Minh City trip if you wait too long.
- For a more convenient journey opt for berth classes instead of seat classes on a train.
- Between trains and buses, it is wiser to choose the former as train journeys in general allow you to travel with more comfort, offer more seat classes to choose from basing on your preferences and budget, feature toilets on board.
- Both night trains from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City feature luxury Violette Express carriage.
- For buses, opt for evening departures to arrive in the morning the day after. Morning departures rob you off two full days.
- Sleeper buses are equipped with berths organized in three rows and two tiers that do not allow you to sit on your berth, only lie.
- All airlines fly from Noi Bai International Airport in Hanoi and land in Tha Son Nhat International Airport in Ho Chi Minh City.
- If you consider connecting flights, choose Danang as your stopover airport.