From Colombo Fort to Batticaloa by train
From Wellawatte to Batticaloa by bus
From Galleface to Batticaloa by bus
From Bandaranaike Airport (CMB) to Batticaloa (BTC) by flight
How to get from Colombo to Batticaloa
When you want to get from Colombo to Batticaloa, you have a few options to consider. Traveling between these destinations is possible by different means of transport:
If you’re looking for a quick trip, it’s recommended that you use Taxi. However, if you’d rather take your time with a slower, more affordable travel option, you can book a Bus ticket.
The cost of travel will depend on the means of transport you choose for your trip. A taxi ticket is the most expensive option - it will cost you about LKR 36,890. If you want to save on transportation, it’s better to take a bus as a bus ticket costs as low as LKR 2,350.
How far is Colombo from Batticaloa?
If you’re traveling by land, it’s important to know the distance from Colombo to Batticaloa. Your trip will be a total of 204 miles (327 km). The flying distance is 139 miles (223 km).
How long does it take to get from Colombo to Batticaloa?
The travel time from Colombo to Batticaloa can vary depending on the mode of transportation you choose. All things considered, the whole journey should take from 7 to 11 hours.
How much does it cost to get from Colombo to Batticaloa?
The cost of the trip from Colombo to Batticaloa varies according to what means of transport you choose for your journey. The most affordable operator is Avro Travels: travelling by bus expect to pay as low as LKR 2,350 for your ticket.
However, if you’re after more upscale travel . The most expensive variant is to opt for a taxi - a one-way taxi ticket can cost as much as LKR 36,890.
Here is a chart of the average ticket prices and transportation options available from Colombo to Batticaloa:
- Bus tickets - LKR 2,350 to LKR 2,350;
- Train tickets - LKR 3,150 to LKR 4,089;
- Plane tickets - LKR 48,396 to LKR 48,396;
You can order a taxi, too - an estimated cost of the ride is from LKR 34,290 to LKR 36,890.
How many trips per day are there between Colombo and Batticaloa?
Depending on your choice of transportation, the number of daily trips varies.
- Trains always run on a set schedule - there are 6 trains per day.
- Buses start plying the route from 19:45 - you can also take a bus as late as 19:55. There are 2 available bus trips every day.
- Flights from Colombo to Batticaloa depart during the day - there are approximately 1 departures a day.
Taxis are a good option to consider for this route, too. Book a cab to take you from Colombo to Batticaloa any time of the day.
Which means of transport is the best for the route?
Traveling by plane is the fastest way to get from Colombo to Batticaloa. While it’s often the most expensive option, tool, occasionally you can grab promotional tickets for more or less the price of a train or a ferry ticket. Normally, the minimum you need to pay for a Plane ticket is LKR 48,396.
Things to remember before boarding a plane:
- It’s recommended to book a ticket in advance and check-in online. This way, you can save over 2 hours at the airport, and if your seat selection is on a first come first served basis you will have more options to choose from.
- Getting through security checks may take some time - it’s recommended to get to the airport at least 1.5 hours in advance.
Airlines flying from Colombo to Batticaloa
Taking a bus from Colombo to Batticaloa is cheaper than flying. Quite often, a long-distance bus is the cheapest transportation option. Buses normally make bathroom and/or lunch stops along the way.
Things to remember before opting for a bus ride:
- If possible, make sure to choose higher-class buses for a more comfortable travel experience. Such buses often have an air conditioning system, soft reclining seats, Wi-Fi, bathrooms, etc.
- As with plane tickets, buses are better booked in advance so that you can secure a good seat.
- While booking a bus, keep in mind that delays are possible. Yet it still pays to get to the bus station at least 15 minutes prior to the scheduled departure.
Catching a cab is the easiest way to get from Colombo to Batticaloa. It allows you to tailor-make your trip, plan all the detours and see all the places you want. You can choose the type and the size of your car as well to be as comfortable as you'd like to.
Depending on the route, it might cost as much as LKR 34,290.
Things to remember: It's a good idea to follow the route on Google Maps or any other GPS navigator.
Things to remember while choosing a train ticket:
Consider everything carefully while choosing the class of your train travel. In most cases, the second class is comfortable enough – it features 2 or 4 berths in each compartment and is often air-conditioned.
If you’re in for a premium experience, consider getting a first class ticket. The price of first class tickets may include Wifi, and a choice of snacks and drinks.
The most popular transport from Colombo to Batticaloa
How to choose the most convenient way of travel from Colombo to Batticaloa? In order to make your choice of transportation easier, we asked 1000 users to range their preferences for this route. Here are the results of the poll:
- 62% users enjoyed a train ride.
- 38% decided to go for a bus.